Monday, February 15, 2010

Read all about it: Globe & Mail fails to deliver on brand expectations

So, my other half, who I call M'lady, recieved a complimentary subscription to Canada's self-proclaimed national newspaper, The Globe & Mail.

It's a 90-day subscription that began last week, so it's Monday-Saturday delivery. Except, on Saturday, we didn't receive our copy of the newspaper. M'lady called to inquire about it and was told that, for comp subscriptions, they won't do a redeliver.

And I have a problem with this.

Here's the thing. I know I'm not a paid subscriber, but the 90-day comp is supposed to be an enticement for me to become one, right? So, if you were trying to woo a new customer, wouldn't you treat someone like me as if I were an existing customer? Wouldn't you try to impress me with outstanding customer service to give me some sense of what I can expect from you?

Apparently, if you're The Globe and Mail, you don't.

Here's the thing. If you want to have positive brand perceptions among customers - current and potential - you need to deliver a great brand experience. By not offering to send a replacement copy, The Globe and Mail failed to meet my expectations that we would have a paper for 90 days. It also suggests that the Globe and Mail views potential customers very differently than current customers, not valuing them enough to provide such a courtesy.

Sure, it's a small thing. But I think even a small thing like this has the power to alter the public's perception of a brand. So, it's something to keep in mind. And it's something that will be on my mind when the Globe and Mail calls to see if I want to be a subscriber. Here's hoping this news reaches them.

No comments:

Post a Comment